Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Packing It Up

As I slowly and deliberately pack up* the Christmas decorations and other holiday messes, I am moved to remember the "12 days of Christmas" song that so many love to sing, while so many others liken it to the school bus trip song "99 bottles of pop!"

Here goes our after the holidays (mostly fiction) version:


On the 1st day after Christmas, my children said to me
It's MY turn to take Gracie out again!

On the 2nd day after Christmas, my children said to me
we ate the pumpkin bread,
and I want to take Gracie out again!


On the 3rd day after Christmas my children said to me ,
the gingerbread houses are so pretty,
we ate the pumpkin bread,
and I want to take Gracie out again!

One the 4th day after Christmas my children said to me ,
did we find the baby Jesus?
the house - candy looks so yummy, we ate the pumpkin bread, and
it's my turn to take Gracie out this time!

On the 5th day after Christmas my children said to me,
look! reindeer candy canes!
did we find the Baby Jesus? the gingerbread houses are stale,
we ate the pumpkin bread, and I already took Gracie out today!

On the 6th day after Christmas my children said to me,
six stockings are still hanging,
look! reindeer candy canes!
did we find the baby Jesus?
the houses are as hard as bricks,
we ate the pumpkin bread, and
Morgan should take Gracie out again!

On the 7th day after Christmas my children said to me,
light the scented candles, my stocking should be bigger, look! reindeer candy canes!
did we find the baby Jesus? We could smash the gingerbread houses,
we ate the pumpkin bread, and Morgan says it's Caroline's turn this time!

On the 8th day after Christmas, my children said to me,
my belly doesn't feel good, light the scented candles,
my stocking should be bigger, look! reindeer candy canes,
Where is baby Jesus? gingerbread smells good,
pumpkin bread was yummy, and Caroline wants to take Gracie outside.

On the 9th day after Christmas my children said to me,
Did grandmama make more pound cake?
My belly doesn't feel good, light the scented candles, my stocking should be bigger,
look! reindeer candy canes, Where is baby Jesus?
gingerbread smells good, pumpkin bread was yummy, and
Can't Gracie take care of herself yet?

On the 10th day after Christmas my children said to me,
is there any more eggnog?
Did Grandmama make more pound cake?
My belly doesn't feel good, light the scented candles,
my stocking should be bigger, look! reindeer candy canes,
Where is baby Jesus? Gingerbread smells good,
pumpkin bread was yummy, and Katherine loves to take Gracie outside.

On the 11th day after Christmas my children said to me,
we still need batteries,
is there any more eggnog? Did Grandmama make more pound cake?
My belly doesn't feel good, put out the scented candles,
my stocking should be bigger, look! reindeer candy canes,
Where's the baby Jesus? Can we eat the gingerbread houses?
I want pumpkin bread, and Will should have to take a turn with Gracie, too!

On the 12th day after the Christmas, my children said to me,
12 months until we do this all again!
We still need batteries,
is there any more eggnog?
Did Grandmama make any more pound cake?
My belly doesn't feel good,
the candles all smell funny,
my stocking should be bigger,
no more candy canes,
He was lying in the manger,
Can we make an Easter house, next?
Please, make some pumpkin bread, and
Mom, it's your turn to take Gracie out to pee.

*pack up can mean so many things!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home