Saturday, September 01, 2007


Today marked our second year volunteering for the Charlottesville Women's Four Miler. Last year we were assigned to the water stop located at the 2-mile mark, which was a fantastic location for watching the runners. This year Katherine, Caroline and I were assigned to help control running traffic at the 1/2 mile mark. Being an out-and-back course that meant we also got to see the runners at the 1 1/2 mile mark as well.

We got to our spot early - very early - because Veej who was participating rode along and Morgan's cross country team was volunteering at the start. Since I was parking at the 1/2 mile spot they needed time to get to their places in time for the start of the race!

When the time came for closing the road and putting out the cones, my girls were raring to go. They kept waiting though for the CHS boys team to make the first move. The girls didn't wait long, which makes me feel a tad bit better about them going away to college and making their way in the world, but that's another post. Nope, they grabbed cones and headed out into the road, looking back only to give those big boys a look that said, quite clearly, "Get to work boys!" And they did.

The race started and the lead runners flew by us. Then, in just a few minutes more, they came back by the 1 1/2 mile mark. At that point, and for the next almost 10 minutes solid, we were surrounded by moving women. Everyone was running or walking, and laughing and smiling. Even the women who weren't sure that they'd be able to finish the race were caught up in the excitement of the day. Only one runner voiced her displeasure at our our crowd control methods - not bad out of 2700 runners!

This little one abandoned me when Veej hit the 1.5 mile mark.

Two miles later they were both smiling. That's what I call a good race!

This one also left me to run with her friend who was 1/4 of the Eight Pink Feet team (pictured below).

After everyone has completed the course, there's always an array of Panera bagels,fruits and beverages to be enjoyed. Then comes the awards ceremony and grab bag prizes. We always have to stay, mostly because we want to see who ran the fastest, but usually because the runners we're with want to win a grab bag prize. You cannot win if you go home! One year both Veej and Grandmama won prizes! It's a good opportunity to rest in the bright sunshine, too!

We decided to break from tradition this year, and managed without any disagreement from the likely sources to get everyone on board. Normally we go to IHop for every post race meal. That was not happening today, especially after an announcement was made that Tubby's was donating 100% of the proceeds made between 11 am and 4 pm today to the cause. We skedaddled as quickly as we could get our hineys to the van (remember the van - a half mile away!) and then drove into town alongside every other hungry female runner in town. We didn't have to wait long and the crowd was pretty jovial - the bagels had to have helped keep the violence down!!

Some friends who ran... and there were many more!


Anonymous vjn said...

Smaller than last year but, gee, the roll is still there! Back to WW for me. V

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home