Friday, November 10, 2006

Going in Circles

I went to the track this morning. Given the start to my morning I was thankful to be there. Will woke up certain that he did not want to go to preschool today. I was unsure he would make it either until we actually pulled into the parking lot to drop Katherine off at school. Luckily for me he decided that pumpkin bread after preschool was a fine idea. Thank goodness for pumpkin bread. Okay, with Will and Katherine dropped off, I only* had to get Morgan to school before I would be able to start my morning.

I also thought I was doomed, and would have to find another place to run, when I saw the signs requiring weekday permits for the lot I usually use when I go to the track on Saturdays. Then I saw another sign which allowed for track users from 7-11 without any permit. Yay!

So I hit the track. As I arrived there was a young (very young) male sprinter also just arriving to start his practice, and several more than middle aged women, and a few older men. We all entered the circle and went round and round, each at our own pace, sometimes passing and sometimes being passed.

As my time at the track passed more people came. There was an Indian woman in a sari who must have walked 2 miles in just her flip-flops. I kept wondering whether the benefit of her walk was doing more good than the damage she was doing to her knees and hips. There was a Japanese couple, and a grandfather with his young grandson. There was a skinny young coed and an morbidly obese woman. Everyone out there this morning was working hard. It was an amazing sight to see all of those different people all exercising together. At times it looked like a perfectly choreographed dance.

The wind blew through the trees at one point and the leaves rustled together. They sounded like they were applauding the effort below. What a great way to start the day!

*Caroline went with the 5th grade to Jamestown today. They left at 6:15 this morning and will return tonight at 6:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home