Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Project 365: Day 37 - February 6

I have two children, my youngest two, who do not like crusts.

Sometimes, they'll eat it, but mostly they'll nibble the insides of their sandwiches leaving at least a half inch of sandwich uneaten all along the crustline.

I decided, in an effort to save bread and keep them happy, that I would cut off the crusts of their sandwiches.

Good grief, I've gotten quite a bit of flak over this, most recently on Sunday at church - how we we got to be talking about de-crusting habits I don't know.

After some thought, I came to wonder, why is it such bad thing to cut off the crust? After all, all I am doing is one small thing that makes my children happy? If my husband asked me to do it for him I would -laughing all the way- but I would!

Is there a good reason to refuse? I think not. If I refuse I have unhappy kids, and I create a power struggle. No one wins.

If I comply with their requests, I offer up a good example of kindness, and I add some happiness to their lunchtimes.

Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Feel better now??
:)

7:39 PM  
Blogger gomomyourock said...

yup.
:)

7:54 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Don't let what anyone else says bother you.

If it makes your kids happy, and you don't mind doing it, I say go for it!

Personally, I think it's rather nice.

You rock!

8:15 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

You could invite Annabelle to lunch. She willingly eats other people's crust.

Another crust story! When I was a kid, somebody (my mom? my grandmother?) told me that I should eat the crust because . . . get this . . . THAT IS WHERE ALL THE VITAMINS ARE! It was not until I was an adult and passing the same line of garbage down to my own offspring that it hit me: nuh uh! Crust is just the same as the inside part. Just crustier.

I have no huge crust issues now, although I'm not much of a sandwich fan overall. If I am going to eat a sandwich though, I would prefer to have it cut into triangles. 4 of them. Not squares. That is just . . . wrong.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home