Tuesday, October 03, 2006

WFU Homecoming

This past weekend David and I took the kids down to Winston-Salem to celebrate David's 20-year college reunion. We were able to see many of David's fraternity brothers and their families. Sadly, we didn't get to spend as much time with them as we had hoped as traveling with a 3-year-old does have its complications.

The kids had fun wherever we went. On Saturday, we went to the Quad where there were tables of activities and games for the kids. As we arrived they were each given balloons and pom-poms! It only got better after that! There were drinks and krispy-kreme donuts dipped in black and gold jimmies! The kids played on a giant inflated slide, participated in sack races, ate cotton candy and got decals on their faces.

We went to the Deacon Shop and bought WFU wear for everyone since everything we already had was at least 12 years old! The highlight for Katherine was getting to pick out a cheerleader uniform complete with matching bow! She cheered for everything from that moment on! Caroline's choice was a black and gold boa - totally Caroline! Morgan picked out a traditional t-shirt that makes her look like she's ready to enroll next year! Will, totally clueless, loved his t-shirt, but mostly enjoyed swinging his pom-poms around!
After taking advantage of all the reunion activities on the Quad we headed over to the tailgate where there were even more inflated activities. The kids went on the moon bounce and yet another gigantic slide before we all headed over to find the food. The food of course was everything good: BBQ, slaw, beans and apple pie!

After eating we went in for the game against Liberty University. The game was a good one - we won 34-14! The win, being cause for celebration, was followed by dinner at The Olive Garden (because there is no Olive Garden in Cville!).

After an IHop breakfast on Sunday we went back to the campus and gave the kids a tour of our old haunts. Mostly we said things like: "This used to be the law school," or "This is where Daddy lived when he was a freshman," or "This is where Daddy first stalked Mommy."

After touring the campus, we wandered down the path to Reynolda Gardens where David and I used to do quite a bit of running, first separately and later, together. That area hasn't changed too much since we were there. As we were walking we happened upon the community day celebration at Reynolda House where, of course, we had to spend some time. The kids wrote poems and hung them on the poetry tree. They made animal prints, fingerprint portraits, and bracelets out of junk. Will enjoyed the music and the juggler.

Later, we toured the town. We traveled to Forsyth Memorial Gardens to remember relatives. On the way we passed the house that David lived in during law school. It looked pretty much the same, except for the absence of the fence that used to keep our puppy Wilson in. We drove by Grandmother Wagoner's house and then headed to Hanes Mall. The girls had read on the back of the football tickets that there was another Deacon Shop at the mall and Caroline had it in her head that we needed to go there. So we did. The kids were completely and utterly astounded by the size of the mall. If you've ever been to our mall here in Cville you'll understand their reaction immediately. Luckily we got there about 30 minutes before closing time. Otherwise it would have been a much longer day!

The weekend was a complete success. Other than missing friends who didn't come and not getting enough time in with the ones who did, we wouldn't change anything about the entire weekend.

Caroline's comment said it all: "We have to do this more often." I don't think she was just talking about the mall.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home